EPCM was approached to assess the integrity of the current ore pass and shoot, located 2.5 km underground at the Evander Gold Mine’s Shaft 8, and to design, procure and construct a new ore pass.
Evander requested three solutions:
- A new ore pass where human interaction for cleaning and maintaining is kept to an absolute minimum for safety reasons;
- The exact same solution that is currently installed. I.e. generating manufacturing drawings, manufacturing new components and the installation thereof; and
- A new solution where cost is the driving factor.
Scope of Work:
- Assessing the integrity of the current ore pass – This is to determine which of the components can be used in the newly designed and constructed ore pass, and which components of the ore pass and conveyor support structure must be replaced;
- Scanning the current ore pass and shoot – This is to:
- Define the exact measurements the new ore pass and shoot must conform to;
- Generate manufacturing drawings of the current ore pass and shoot;
- Designing the two new solutions – One of which is where human interaction for maintenance and cleaning is the driving factor, and one where cost is the driving factor.
- Procurement and Construction of the chosen solution.