EPCM was appointed the Engineering Contract to provide Building Information Modelling (BIM) and Scanning professional services to Exxaro Coal (Pty) Ltd for the GG6 Expansion Project.
The GG6 Expansion project aims to increase Semi Soft Coking Coal (SSCC) production at Grootegeluk Coal mine (South Africa) through modifications and additions to the existing GG2/6 Plant and associated materials handling systems. The Scope of Services for the BIM Modelling covers an intelligent 3D digital representation of Phase 1 and its digital twin expansion for the facility’s physical and functional characteristics.
The project is divided into 3 distinct areas namely:
- Brownfields modifications to existing ROM feed systems and GG2 plant modules;
- Construction of new small coal plant and silo with plant conveyors; and
- Stockpile and stockpile conveyors.
All construction activities are phased to limit the impact on current production activities and to reach completion towards a common commissioning date.
The phase 1 BIM modelling and scanning objective for the GG6 Expansion project is to move through the BIM phases up to a fully integrated 4D Model.
- 2D and 3D modelling of Greenfields CAD models into one single combined smart 3D model;
- Scanning of all current brownfields infrastructure into one single combined 3D model; and
- Terrestrial and aerial LIDAR scanning to capture as-built infrastructure.
Lephalale, Limpopo, South Africa
May 2018 – December 2018